Qatar Airways has added a third daily flight between New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Doha’s Hamad International Airport (DOH), and in doing so, the airline has released rare Qsuite award space, as View from the Wing reported.
The award space is going fast, but if you find it, this flight costs 70,000 British Airways Avios plus around $100 in taxes and fees per person. However, those with American Express Membership Rewards points can take advantage of the 30% transfer bonus between the two programs through the end of the month, allowing you to book this flight for just 54,000 Amex points plus taxes and fees.
With such an appealing redemption, booking a positioning flight could be worthwhile if you’re not based in the New York City area.
Airline: Qatar Airways
Routes: To and from JFK and DOH
Cost: From 70,000 British Airways Avios plus $103.25 taxes and fees
Dates: December 2023 through February 2024
Pay taxes/fees with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel) for travel protections on the award flight
You can also leverage the award space to book a connecting flight from Doha. There are flights to Allama Iqbal International Airport (LHE) in Lahore, Pakistan, for 80,000 Avios (62,000 Amex points) for the one-way business-class flight.
Also, longer South Asia routes to Cochin International Airport (COK), Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (DAC) and Tribhuvan International Airport (KTM) cost 85,000 Avios (66,000 Amex points) for one-way business-class flights.
Can you book these flights with American Airlines miles?
For the last couple of months, U.S. Qsuite award space has nearly disappeared from AA.com. As expected, our test searches didn’t show the same Qsuite award space British Airways has for the third Qatar frequency from JFK to DOH.
We recommend contacting American’s phone representatives if you want to redeem American miles for the Qsuite.
In the meantime, these cards all currently offer strong welcome bonuses that you could easily convert to British Airways Avios:
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first six months of account opening. Terms apply.
- The Platinum Card from American Express: Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $6,000 on purchases within the first six months of card membership. Check to see if you’re targeted for a 125,000-point welcome offer through CardMatch (offer subject to change at any time). Terms apply.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card (see rates and fees): Earn 75,000 bonus miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (see rates and fees): Earn 75,000 bonus miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $8,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
As a reminder, you can initiate reciprocal transfers from British Airways Avios to Qatar Airways Avios for free. If possible, compare prices with both programs before booking. That way, you can be sure you’re getting the best possible deal.
Maximize your purchase
Make sure to pay award taxes and fees with a card that earns bonus points on airfare and offers travel protections. Some cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
- When is the best time to book flights for the cheapest airfare?
- The best airline credit cards
- What exactly are airline miles, anyway?
- 6 real-life strategies you can use when your flight is canceled or delayed
- Maximize your airfare: The best credit cards for booking flights
- The best credit cards to reach elite status