If you need a relaxing beach getaway before the end of the year, snag these cheap award flights to Cancun on United Airlines.
Flights are priced as low as 6,900 United MileagePlus miles one-way, plus fees. There is plenty of availability from multiple U.S. hubs between now and the end of the year.
Routes: Chicago, Houston, Newark, San Francisco and other cities to Cancun
How to book: Directly on United’s website
Travel dates: July through December
Book by: As soon as possible
Head to United’s website to start your search. You can either enter specific dates or check out the fare calendar for the cheapest dates. The below rates are for travel from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to Cancun International Airport (CUN).
There are even cheaper options from Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). Consider this evening flight from IAH to CUN on Oct. 1. In addition to the 6,900 miles, you’ll pay $45.30 in fees.
The fees on the return portion are a bit higher, at $63.65. In total, you’ll pay 13,800 miles plus $108.95 in fees.
These prices are for United’s basic economy seats, which only include one personal item that fits under the seat in front of you — no carry-on or checked bags. You’ll have to pay extra to bring more luggage. A checked bag costs $35 each way.
You also won’t get to select your seat or be eligible for a refund if you cancel your reservation after 24 hours (although you may be eligible to receive credit).
Maximize your purchase
Although you’ll use points for these flights, you may want to pay the fees with a credit card. Consider using the United Quest Card to earn 3 United MileagePlus miles on United purchases, or the United Club Infinite Card to earn 4 United MileagePlus miles per dollar on United purchases.
Other credit card options include:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 2 points per dollar on travel
- American Express® Gold Card: 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 of these purchases per calendar year
- Citi Premier® Card (see rates and fees): 3 points per dollar on airfare
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3 points per dollar on airfare
If you have a stash of United MileagePlus miles in your account, consider booking these cheap award flights to Cancun. The rates are very low, and the dates are flexible, so you can fit your vacation into your schedule rather than plan around it.
- Your ultimate guide to the United MileagePlus program
- How to save on your next trip to Cancun with points and miles
- The best all-inclusive resorts in the world to book for a relaxing vacation
- A beautiful resort with an evolving identity: The St. Regis Kanai Resort, Riviera Maya
- My stay at the new Waldorf Astoria Cancun