As much of the country is dealing with frigid temperatures and winter weather, Southwest Airlines knows you might be dreaming of a getaway. With its “Wanna Get Away” sale, you can make those warm-weather dreams a reality for as little as $39 one-way.
You must book your flights by Jan. 25, 2024, to take advantage of this sale for travel dates on Tuesdays and Wednesdays between Feb. 6 and May 22, 2024. A 21-day advance purchase is required.
Routes: Across the Southwest network
How to book: Directly with the airline, no code required
Travel dates: Tuesdays and Wednesdays between Feb. 6 and May 22
Book by: 11:59 p.m. PST on Jan. 25
Blackout dates: No specific blackout dates. Only a limited number of seats are available, and a 21-day advance purchase is required.
For this sale, only Wanna Get Away fares are discounted. Wanna Get Away Fares are nonrefundable, but you can receive a flight credit for future travel if you need to cancel your flight for any reason. All Southwest fare types also include two free checked bags, two free carry-on items and free inflight entertainment and messaging.
How much you can save will vary based on your origin and destination cities. The elusive $39 fares weren’t easy to find. The only route we could confirm had $39 flights was between Louisville International Airport (SDF) and Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW). Not exactly your typical winter getaway, but if you need to get around the Midwest, it’s a great deal.
We did find flights as low as $50 one-way for Hawaiian interisland flights and for less than $50 between Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Harry Reid International Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas.
To search for this deal, enter your desired month of travel as well as your departure and arrival airports into Southwest’s low-fare calendar. This is the quickest way to see Southwest’s lowest daily fares between two airports.
For example, the above one-way flight between LAX and LAS in April is only $46 if you travel on the sale dates of Tuesday or Wednesday.
You can book this same flight for just 2,471 points plus $5.60 in taxes and fees.
Maximize your purchase
To book this deal, use a credit card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases. Southwest frequent flyers should use the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card or the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card to earn 3 Rapid Rewards points on Southwest purchases or the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card to earn 2 points.
Otherwise, consider using:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 2 points per dollar spent on travel
- American Express® Gold Card: 3 points per dollar spent on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5 points per dollar spent on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 of these purchases per calendar year
- Citi Premier® Card (see rates and fees): 3 points per dollar spent on airfare
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3 points per dollar spent on airfare
Though you may have difficulty snagging the lowest-priced $39 fares advertised as part of this sale, you can still find some deep discounts on flights this winter and spring with Southwest’s “Wanna Get Away” sale.
If you’ve already booked travel for this winter and early spring, it may be worth repricing your reservations since Southwest doesn’t apply change fees. You’ll receive a flight credit for the difference if you change your existing flights for a lower fare as part of this sale.
Also, this sale is appealing for Southwest travelers with a Companion Pass since a friend or family member can join you on your discounted flights for just the cost of taxes and fees.
To take advantage of this sale, book your flights by the end of the day on Jan. 25.
- How to quickly earn the Southwest Companion Pass
- How to qualify for Southwest Companion Pass with 1 credit card sign-up bonus
- How to use the Southwest Companion Pass
- Is the Southwest Performance Business Card worth the annual fee?
- It just got easier to use your Chase points to book Southwest Airlines flights